Cowes Enterprise College is an exciting new development being undertaken by Pihl-UK who is responsible for the £30 million two storey building constructed of pre-cast panels combining a low carbon and environmental plan. It will have heating and hot water supplied by its own Biomass Plant and make maximum use of natural ventilation & lighting and will be topped by a fully accessible Biodiverse Green Roof featuring that will serve as a mini-nature reserve.
AquaticEngineering have been involved in the establishment of a blend of local provenance flora for the biodiverse roof – in partnership with Ecosulis this was undertaken and seed collection is now drawing to a close with excellent results.
Ecosulis are also undertaking the following works:
- Produce a BREEAM schools report
- Produce specific habitat designs and written specification
- Provide a maintenance strategy for installed habitats
- Construct suitable features e.g. bee houses, insect nests, bumble bee boxes, bat boxes, swift boxes etc and install
- Undertake pre-demolition surveys for bats and badger
As the construction phase is now rapidly progressing we will keep you posted as to the projects evolution and development.
- Other significant design features include:
- A 650-seat conference centre/auditorium
- Green gym
- Outdoor amphitheatre
- A central atrium that provides an inspirational learning environment
- A living science garden
- Rooftop conference area for staff, pupils and governors.