Julian Burchby has recently joined us with over 15 years practical experience, including 10 years as a Contracts Manager for Silvanus Services working in the south west, initially in Devon and Somerset. Prior to establishing new teams in Bristol and Newbury, Julian helped Silvanus evolve from a trading subsidiary of a charity to the eventual sale and incorporation into a Plc, following a management buyout. Before this he had experience relating to the management of private estates and horticulture projects.
Julian brings experience of contracts ranging from the very small to £500,000 in the general countryside contracting sector, for a very wide range of clients. Julian has specific knowledge of woodland creation and working within quarries and landfill sites, which present a whole new set of challenges!
Having a qualified forester enables Ecosulis to take on woodland management and consultancy as well as general forestry operations, an industry that is set to become more important in the future through the recognition of the benefit trees have on the environment.
As well as managing the existing contracting work Julian will be working with us to add a range of other Countryside Management services throughout the UK.
Example of the type of work Julian has undertaken, includes:
- Removal of rhododendron from SSSI’s on Exmoor, using herbicides and organic methods.
- Management of Woodland Trust community woodlands.
- Liasing with the Forestry Commission regarding grant / felling licence applications.
- Spraying of noxious weeds along major trunk roads
- Designing and planting new woodlands from 0.5ha to 80ha, including annual visits and beat up assessments.
- Writing woodland management plans.
- Scrub clearance for the MOD using a variety of methods.
- Implemented community planting schemes.
- Wildlife and agricultural fence installation.
- Standing sales for various private landowners, from very small parcels to 5000m3.
- Tariffing and marking of thinnings.
- Landscaping around development sites & new roads.
- Planting of new hedgerows for Countryside Stewardship.
- Hedge laying.
- Spot spraying, bracken spraying, treatment of noxious weeds.
- Management of and practical work on FSC woodland Estates (e.g. Dartington).
- Traditional forestry operations such as respacing, brashing and pruning.
- Visiting owners of County Wildlife Sites on behalf of the County Council to provide advice on management of the woods for conservation.
- Maintenance for large national waste company on a number of landfill sites.
- Managing large scale vegetation clearance projects.